The village of Bramley lies on the A281 three miles south of Guildford in the Borough of Waverley in Surrey in the south east corner of the UK. In the 1931 census its population was 2023, and it was then part of Hambledon Rural District.
Membership of the Society costs just £5 per year
and includes a copy of our magazine
along with reduced entrance fee to our meetings
The Formation of Bramley History Society
In 1994 when the Parish Council was
celebrating its centenary, it was decided to write a book on the
village, both ancient and modern. The Bramley Village Society had
previously published a booklet on the village in 1977, to commemorate
the Queens Silver Jubilee.
Articles and photographs were sought from the villagers towards the new book. Many of the people asked were eager to help the project, and wished for a Society to record the findings. The Village Society had also gathered quite an amount of material over the years.
The Parish Clerk David Morley roped in a group, to stage an exhibition to gauge the interest of the village which was very well attended and soon after a committee of volunteers was formed and wrote the constitution for Bramley History Society.
Its first Chairman was Joss Nangle of East Manor, and the first newsletter was published in December 1994. Evelyn Nash, Patricia Pratt and Jill Bryant were the Editorial staff, with Evelyn acting as Editor.
The parish council extended the Village Hall in 1999 to celebrate the Millennium, and provision was made for the History Society to have a permanent storage room for its archives.